Metabolic syndrome is the name for a group of risk factors for heart disease, diabetes, and other health problems.
Metabolic syndrome has several causes that act together:
- Overweight and obesity
- An inactive lifestyle
- Insulin resistance, a condition in which the body can’t use insulin properly. Insulin is a hormone that helps move blood sugar into your cells to give them energy. Insulin resistance can lead to high blood sugar levels.
- Age – your risk goes up as get older
- Genetics – ethnicity and family history
The most important treatment for metabolic syndrome is a heart-healthy lifestyle, which includes
- A heart-healthy eating plan, which limits the amount of saturated and trans fats that you eat. It encourages you to choose a variety of nutritious foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats.
- Aiming for a healthy weight
- Managing stress
- Getting regular physical activity
- Quitting smoking (or not starting if you don’t already smoke)
Fuente: Metabolic Syndrome | MedlinePlus